Coming up in January 2018, HE Zim’og Rinpoche is planning to lead a pilgrimage that explores sacred sites of earliest Buddhism. Register now for this 21-day sacred journey. Deposit Form 2018.
– Bodhgaya, where the Buddha reached enlightenment;
– Sarnath, in the ancient city of Varanasi, where the Buddha first turned the wheel of Dharma and formed the first Sangha;
– Ajanta caves, where ancient Buddhist Monasteries carved out of a cliff on the Deccan Plateau and dating back to the 2nd century BCE contain paintings and rock sculptures considered to be masterpieces of Buddhist art;
– Ellora caves, one of the largest rock-cut monastery-temple cave complexes in the world, with their magnificent sculptures, sacred to Buddhists, Jains and Hindus alike;
– Vultures Peak at Rajgir, the place of the Heart Sutra;
– Vaishali, where the Buddha ordained nuns for the first time and a monkey gave a bowl of honey to the Buddha;
– The great stupa at Kesaria where the Buddha gave away his begging bowl before his Mahaparinirvana;
– Dehradun, the Indian home the Sakya tradition, His Holiness Sakya Trichin and family.
The pilgrimage is intended to proceed at a leisurely pace, incorporating more domestic flights where possible to cover large distances, and allowing plenty of time for meditation and personal practice at these holy sites.
January is the best time to travel in India as the weather is mild and usually dry. This pilgrimage will be a feast for the eyes as well as great nourishment and inspiration for the spirit. Everyone is invited.
Day 1 – Arrive in Delhi
Day 2 – Delhi and National Museum of India
Day 3 – Fly to Aurangabad, the closest city to Ajanta and Ellora
Day 4 – Ajanta Caves
Day 5 – Ellora Caves
Day 6 – Fly to Mumbai, with full day in Mumbai
Day 7 – Fly to Varanasi
Day 8 – Varanasi/Sarnath
Day 9 – Travel to Bodhgaya by road (6 hrs)
Day 10 – 13 – In Bodhgaya
Day 14 – Travel to Rajgir by road (2.5 hrs), Nalanda University and Vultures Peak
Day 15 – Travel to Vaishali by road (6 hrs)
Day 16 – Kesaria Stupa, Vaishali – Patna by road then fly to Delhi
Day 17 – Fly to Dehradun
Day 18 – In Dehradun
Day 19 – Train to Delhi in late afternoon
Day 20 – Delhi
Day 21 – Depart Delhi for Melbourne
AU$3600 per person twin share from Delhi (plus international flights). This includes all accommodation and breakfasts in comfortable hotels, 2 lunches and 5 dinners, 4 domestic flights within India, 2 train journeys, AC mini bus and driver.
Single supplement AU$1000.
If you are interested, please phone 0449 996 492 or email firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible.
To confirm your participation, please complete the Deposit Form 2018 and return it with your deposit by Friday 6 October 2017. Payments can be made in monthly instalments by arrangement.
Mahabodhi Temple, Bodhgaya
Inside the magnificent Ellora Caves